Saturday, January 26, 2013

Andaz Fifth Avenue - New York


Entrance
The Andaz Fifth Avenue is conveniently located near the 5th Avenue and 42nd Street intersection, directly across the street from the New York City Public Library.

After a red-eye flight in which I did not get much sleep, I was extremely happy that the hotel let me check-in a little before 9:00 AM, a full 7 hours before the normal check-in time of 4:00 PM.

Upon entering the hotel, the “front desk” area is located to the left.  I was immediately greeted and helped by the front desk agent.  My Hyatt Diamond status was recognized.  I was told that a regular King Room was immediately available, or I could wait for an upgraded room of a Loft or Junior Suite.

With the lack of sleep, I quickly agreed to the regular King room to grab a quick nap before venturing out to the city.
Room 617
I was given a room in the North tower, in which two elevators are needed in order to get to the room.  After getting on the second floor from the regular elevator, the kitchen area is in front of you, in which there was a lot of activity preparing meals for either meetings or a party.  Along the corridor to get to the North elevators are library and meeting rooms.

Elevator
The King room has a narrow entry way with a glass closet to the left with the mini-bar and refrigerator next to that.

Closet
Mini Bar
Refrigerator
On the opposite side of the entry way is the bathroom.  The bathroom is rather large with a glass counter top and double sinks.  The shower is large enough to hold a small party with a seat and foot bath.  There is a rainfall shower head along with a regular shower head.  The great thing is that both can work at the same time.  Water pressure was good, but the water temperature varied wildly when taking a shower.
Shower
Sinks
C. O. Bigelow Amenities
There is no door to the toilet, and one must close all doors to the bathroom for privacy.

Toilet
There is a large desk with an outlet close by.  There is a flat screen TV mounted on the wall. 




Desk & TV
The bed is on a small platform.  Although comfortable, I do like my bed a little bit firmer than this.  The pillows were super soft and did not seem to provide enough support when sleeping.

King Bed
All lights and window shades are controlled by plates near the front door or bed.

Breakfast for Hyatt Diamond members can either be taken in the downstairs restaurants or by room service.  In addition, you can also order up to $75 worth of items that are complimentary.  I woke up too late for breakfast in the restaurant, served until 10:30 AM, but was lucky enough not to have missed the cut-off for room service, which ends at 12:00 PM.

I had to order the Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes which is greatly revered by Gary Leff.  This is not a traditional pancake in that it has more flavor and texture of a cake than pancake.  Although good, I just don’t “get” the fondness for the pancake as does Gary or many other bloggers and foodies.

Lemon Poppyseed Pancake

The Brioche French Toast is also good, but not spectacular.  I like my French Toast super soggy, and 95%+ restaurants will not make it this way even when you request it.  The same rule applies here.  Although brioche is super buttery by nature, the French Toast was a little dry and not to my particular liking.
French Toast

The omelet was well cooked, and the mushrooms and spinach were fresh, while the bacon added enough salt and smokiness.

Omelet
I went way over the $75 cap for breakfast, as breakfast including tax and extra tip was ~$135.

I had a hard time deciding on whether or not to pay for the room or to use points, as the rate ($351) did not really justify the use of points for maximum advantage.  However, with the lack of any promotions by Hyatt recently I decided to use 22,000 Hyatt points.  With the after tax rate ~$406, the extra $60 for breakfast, and the ability to check-in a full 7 hours earlier than normal, I feel that I got a great use of points on this stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment