Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Westin Mission Hills Resort and Spa


On my quest to build up my Starpoint balance, I have been focusing on staying on Starwood properties where I had been able to book a stay by getting a Best Rate Guarantee, in which one can either get an extra 10% off or an extra 2,000 points.

During my search however, I found a rate at The Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa on American Express with a rate of $149 with a $200 golf or spa credit.  Not wanting to miss out on a stay credit, I called Starwood’s Best Rate Guarantee Customer Service asking if they would match the offer from AMEX.
Entrance

Unfortunately, they couldn’t but for a “free” stay or massage (take your pick) I decided to book the room anyhow.

Upon checking in, the front desk did not have my reservations in their system, which I figured since I got an email from AMEX letting me know that my reservation would likely not be recognized by the hotel and to bring in a copy of my pre-paid reservation email in with me.

As I was in a rush before heading to Rancho Mirage I forgot to print out my confirmation.  After showing my reservation to the front desk staff on my phone, they were still unable to confirm my reservation.  I was given the keys to my room anyhow, and the front desk staff said that they would look into my reservation and confirm it with AMEX.  They had to manually input my reservation since they could not find it.

The Westin Mission Hills is a large, spread out resort with no building over 2 stories.  The room was fairly large for a standard room with a large king bed, two chairs and a desk with enough manageable work space.  There was a balcony with 2 chairs and a small table overlooking the golf course.  The bathroom was large with a large corridor with the sink, a vanity and closet.  Another room held the toilet and shower/tub which was also fairly large.

Bedroom



Bathroom


At the time of check-out, I noticed that the $200 golf/spa credit had not been deducted from the bill.  This was quickly taken care of and I was presented with a corrected bill.

Overall, it was a nice little getaway, but during the summer the Palm Springs area can get sweltering.  Fortunately, it was not as hot as I have experienced in the past.  It did rain a little bit, which made the following day super humid.

A couple of days later while checking out the SPG site, I noticed a nice little “surprise”.  Although I did not get the extra 2,000 Starpoints I have been on a quest for, I was given a stay credit and Starpoints for my expenditure at The Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa.

No comments:

Post a Comment